Personal Injury Lawyer in Kansas City, Missouri
When a car accident leaves you paralyzed or a fall on a construction site causes a traumatic brain injury, you and your family could have a life-long struggle ahead of you. On top of the cost of your initial treatment in an emergency department or trauma center, you also have mounting bills for long hospital or rehabilitation center stays, medical specialists, and physical and occupational therapy. Your future may hold ongoing medical needs and an inability to earn the same amount of money you did before the accident—if you can work at all.
For these reasons, it is vital that you fight for the compensation you deserve after an accident causes a catastrophic injury. You need an attorney who is experienced in valuing these kinds of claims and has the skill and dedication to fight for what you deserve. Kansas City personal injury lawyer Kevin J. McManus is ready to help and will immediately get to work on your behalf to secure the damages you need to move on with your life.
Types of Serious Personal Injuries
The American Medical Association (AMA) defines a catastrophic injury as one that affects the spine, spinal cord, or brain, and may also include skull or spinal fractures. However, personal injury attorneys look not only at what body part was injured, but at the potential outcome of the injury when determining whether it is catastrophic. If an injury causes permanent disability or will affect the way a person will be able to earn a living or function on a daily basis, these factors should be considered when settling a claim. Injuries that often permanently affect the victim include the following:
- Amputation/Loss of limb. Losing a limb is a devastating experience that many victims never fully recover from. Even with therapy and prosthetics, a victim’s life will be changed forever.
- Broken bones. While many broken bones eventually heal, some require reconstructive surgery and ongoing physical therapy. A crushed pelvis or broken hip can leave a victim unable to ever resume normal activities.
- Traumatic brain injury. Depending on the severity of the brain injury, a victim can experience loss of memory, changes in personality, loss of physical function, and cognitive damage. These effects are often permanent.
- Neck, Back or Spine injuries. Even when the spinal cord is not damaged, injury to the vertebrae can cause chronic pain, loss of motor function, and debilitation. Long-term physical therapy and invasive surgery may be required. Damage to the spinal cord can result in loss of sensory and motor function from the point of injury down. Victims may need assistance to perform simple daily tasks and may be unable to return to the same work they did before the injury. A spinal cord injury could also result in partial or complete paralysis, requiring the victim to have 24-hour care or to be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
- Burn injuries. Burn injuries can cause lifelong physical, psychological and mental scars and health complications that can result in costly, expensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
Even when these devastating injuries can be treated, it will require a great deal of money and support from family or hired help. A fair personal injury settlement is the place to start when the injury is the result of an accident caused by another person’s negligence.
Types of Accidents Causing Personal Injuries in Missouri & Kansas
When one of these devastating injuries is caused by an accident that was not the victim’s fault, the liable party must be held accountable. Accidents that can lead to a catastrophic injury include the following:
- Accidents and collisions involving motor vehicles, including:
- Slip and falls or dangerous property conditions
- Child injuries
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Defective products
- Workplace accidents
- Fires or explosions
With these kinds of accidents, it is vital to the victim’s recovery that the liable party is identified and held accountable.
How Our Kansas City Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
As soon as you hire the Law Office of Kevin J. McManus after a devastating injury, our Kansas City personal injury lawyer will start investigating the accident and locating sources of compensation. We will call expert medical, vocational, and financial experts to demonstrate the value of your losses.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in any kind of accident, call us for a free confidential case review. You won’t pay a penny until we have settled with the liable party or parties, so you have nothing to lose. Don’t wait another moment -- call us at (816) 203-0143, or fill out the form below for a free, no obligation consultation now.