Long-Term Disability Lawyer for Appeals & Lawsuits
Long-term disability claims are different than most other types of insurance claims. Most lawyers, even social security and worker’s compensation lawyers, don’t handle long-term disability claims. The reason is many long-term disability insurance policies are governed by a federal law called ERISA.
ERISA governs most group long-term disability policies, which are obtained through your employer. Even federal judges agree that ERISA is a law that is literally rigged in favor the insurance company.
ERISA is so complex and contains so many unforgiving rules and deadlines that we believe you should always file a long-term disability appeal with the assistance of an attorney who is experienced and trained in the law of ERISA. Before you consider hiring a lawyer for your long-term disability appeal, ask: "Are you experienced in ERISA?"
Our long-term disability lawyer helps claimants receive the long-term disability (LTD) benefits they deserve after an illness or injury. We are experienced in handling claims that arise from both group (ERISA) and individual (non-ERISA) long-term disability policies. If you are thinking of applying for long-term disability or if you recently had your benefits denied or terminated, we can help.
Speak with Our Legal Team About Your Disability Claim Today By Calling Our Office at 816-203-0143.
How Our Long-Term Disability Lawyer Can Help
If you have a long-term disability claim, here's how we can help right now:
- If you have been denied long-term disability benefits or had your benefits terminated, we will review your denial letter for free. You can email/mail/fax your denial letter to us. We will provide a free strategy on how to get your benefits reinstated. While this service is free, you must act quickly. There are short deadlines that apply. There's no obligation to hire our firm, but if you do, we will prepare and submit the appeal to have your benefits reinstated. If you have already filed your administrative appeal, we may be able to file a lawsuit against the insurance company.
- If you want to learn more about long-term disability claims or appeals, download our free disability guide, Danger: Proceed at Your Own Risk. This book shares helpful tips and strategies to get your benefits paid. You may also want to review our free articles and FAQ's on long-term disability claims.
- Call us to discuss your disability case at 816-203-0143. Our law firm believes in empowering our clients through education, and we want to help those who are struggling with disability insurance get the information they need to make the best choice possible. We can assist in representation of ERISA disability cases nationwide with local counsel at no additional cost and approval of the court.
What's ERISA & How Does It Impact My Long-term Disability Claim?
ERISA is a federal law that strongly favors insurance companies. The law is complex and has specific rules and very short deadlines that you must follow. If you do not, your appeal for benefits will be dead on arrival. With these claims, you cannot afford to wait!
ERISA is an acronym that stands for the "Employee Retirement Income Security Act." Congress passed ERISA to protect private health and pension plans, and it also governs to many group long-term disability plans. ERISA sets out how disability claims are processed and how appeals are handled.
If your long-term disability is governed by ERISA, you should have received a document stating that ERISA applies. If you aren't sure, an ERISA-trained lawyer can help. Our Kansas City long-term disability attorney has handled ERISA claims and appeals and would be happy to confirm this for you with a free consultation.
Our attorney is experienced in long-term disability claims, whether your long-term disability insurance was obtained through your employer’s group plan (likely, an ERISA plan) or on an individual basis. If you have been denied benefits or are were recently cut off from receiving benefits, we can help you. Call us at 816-203-0143.
Want to Learn Why Most Long-Term Disability Claims are Denied and How to Fight Back and Win? Download Our Free Disability Appeal Guide, Danger: Proceed at Your Own Risk
If you've been denied long-term disability, the legal process is confusing and literally rigged against you. Fortunately, we have a free appeal guide that can help you right now. Usually, you have only 180 days to file an appeal of your denial, so you must act quickly.
Our Attorney's Free Long-Term Disability Book Will Share with You:
- 13 scary myths and truths of long-term disability insurance
- Why federal judges say that ERISA is a "loaded deck" stacked against you
- 3 types of claims insurance companies almost always deny
- The most important thing you can do to get your benefits restored
- How ERISA disability claims are different (not knowing this will wreck your case!)
- 7 deadly provisions you don't want to see in your disability policy and what to do about them
- 6 things you must do after getting a denial letter
- The exact steps you should take to file a winning appeal and MORE!
Insurance Company Denial Tactics for Long-Term Disability Claims
Insurance companies are in business to make money. Adjusters are trained on tactics to use to maximize company profits and minimize payments on claims. Such tactics include delaying coverage decisions, denying valid claims, and hiring attorneys to defend denials.
Other tactics used by disability insurance companies include:
- Asserting that there is “Insufficient Medical Proof” for your claim, even though you have treating doctors that support and document your disability.
- Hiring its own physician who has never seen or examined you to discredit your treating physicians.
- Requiring a Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) report or Transitional Skills Analysis (TSA), to establish functional capacities for jobs that you do not have.
Fighting back against an insurance denial is hard, and the insurance companies know most people won’t do that. They have been in business for years and have the resources, attorneys and even medical professionals needed to support their actions. They know most people won’t go to the trouble to appeal their decision, hire a lawyer or take legal action. And they are right.
Most people don’t fight back. But our law firm helps those that do. Call us at 816-203-0413.
Long-Term Disability Insurance Companies That Deny Claims
The market for long-term disability is saturated with companies that offer both employer-sponsored plans governed by ERISA and individuals plans. Such LTD companies include:
Our Long-Term Disability Attorney in Kansas City Can Help
Long-term disability policies and the law of ERISA strongly favor insurance companies. These laws were not written for consumers, and it is easy to make a mistake in appealing a long-term disability denial. For this reason, we strongly recommend you consult with an ERISA-trained long-term disability lawyer early in the process.
Our long-term disability lawyer in Kansas City is ready to work diligently to assist you in filing a claim or appeal that is clear, concise, and complete with all necessary information. While we cannot guarantee an outcome, our goal is to make the insurance company pay any benefits you are owed and maximize the recovery under your long-term disability policy.
If you have a long-term disability claim, here's how we can help you:
- Download our free long-term disability guidebook, Danger: Proceed at Your Own Risk. This book is packed with helpful information about long-term disability claims and appeals, including the exact steps you should take to get back on claim.
- Send us your denial letter. We will review it for free and provide a strategy on how to fight back. You can fax it to us right now at: 816-945-7190.
- Call us today at 816-203-0143, for a no-obligation consultation about your LTD claim. If you have not submitted your claim for LTD benefits, we can help by reviewing the policy and claim documents and by offering guidance on ways to strengthen your claim.
Warning: If you have already appealed a denial and it was still rejected, we can review your appeal to see if we can be of assistance. However, we do not recommend you wait this long or that you attempt to appeal your denial without an ERISA-trained attorney. Some plans only allow one appeal. If your appeal was insufficient, we may not be able to help you because ERISA laws generally prohibit submitting additional evidence later on. (This is another way ERISA favors insurance companies).
No matter what you do, do not delay in pursuing your claim. Strict deadlines can destroy your right to appeal a denial. Call us today at 816-203-0143.