Average Settlements for Slip & Fall Injury in Kansas City
If you were injured in a slip and fall in Kansas City (or anywhere in Kansas or Missouri), you likely want to know if the settlement offer being presented to you by the insurance company is fair. Our Kansas City slip and fall attorney is often asked about average settlement values in personal injury accidents, including slip and falls in Kansas and Missouri.
This question is especially crucial when the injured party is suffering from serious injuries that limit or prevent him or her from working. The stress and uncertainty from the accident, medical bills, and lost wages can be too much to bear.
Every Slip and Fall Injury Case in Kansas City is Unique
Unfortunately, there is no simple, easy formula to calculate the value of a slip and fall claim. Every slip and fall case is different, and the settlement value can change based on a number of variables. To understand the potential settlement value, your slip and fall attorney will need to know certain facts and circumstances., such as the type of injury, medical treatment, and prognosis as well as the amount of insurance available and whether you share in any proportion of fault.
Even then, the settlement value of any personal injury case ultimately depends on the amount the insurance company believes a jury may award if your case is tried. Juries are made up of people with diverse views and can be quite unpredictable. Therefore, even if you have a solid grasp of the facts, there is always uncertainty when you reject a settlement offer and go to trial.
As a result, any experienced slip and fall lawyer will tell you it's impossible to know the precise settlement value of a slip and fall claim without a complete investigation and a good understanding of the facts and law governing your particular case.
How to Determine the Value of a Kansas City Slip and Fall Injury
Below are some key indicators that can influence the settlement value of a slip and fall injury case in Kansas or Missouri:
- How serious are your injuries? Are they "soft tissue" or did you break a bone or suffer a spine, head, or other severe injuries?
- Did you seek prompt medical treatment?
- Did you follow the advice of your doctors in your treatment?
- What was the cost of your past medical treatment?
- Did you suffer any lost wages due to your slip and fall injury?
- Are your injuries permanent or will they result in permanent limitations?
- If so, will you suffer lost earnings or earning capacity in the future due to your injuries?
- Will you need future medical care? If so, what is the anticipated cost?
- Were you somehow at fault in the accident? If so, how much?
- Is it clear that the property owner is at fault?
- How much insurance is there?
- Where will the case be filed and what are past jury verdicts in similar cases in that jurisdiction?
Types of Damages in a Slip and Fall Case in Missouri & Kansas
Experiencing a slip and fall accident in Kansas City, or anywhere within Kansas or Missouri, necessitates a comprehensive understanding of the types of damages you are potentially eligible to claim. Such damages are designed to provide financial compensation for the losses incurred due to the incident. In legal language, the word "damages" simply means the monetary compensation given to an individual in a civil lawsui, which serves as restitution for the injury or loss inflicted by another party's neglect of duty.
It's important to remember that the repercussions of a slip and fall incident extend beyond immediate physical injuries. The aftermath can manifest in diverse areas of your life, posing substantial challenges. Here are the common types of damages that may be recoverable after a slip and fall incident under the laws of Kansas and Missouri:
- Medical Expenses: This includes immediate medical attention at the incident site or in the emergency room, along with subsequent care such as physical therapy, chiropractic treatments, and requisite surgical procedures.
- Lost Income: If your injury impacts on your capacity to work, you may be eligible to claim compensation for lost wages. This includes both income already lost and anticipated future earnings, if your injury precludes your return to work or inhibits your work capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: The physical pain and emotional distress subsequent to an accident often surpass the financial impact. Pain and suffering encompass physical discomfort, emotional trauma, stress, sleep disorders, and more.
- Lost Enjoyment: If your injuries hinder your participation in daily activities or hobbies, you may be awarded damages for lost enjoyment.
- Permanent Disability or Disfigurement: Should the accident result in permanent disability or disfigurement, such as loss of a limb, paralysis, or significant scarring, you may be eligible for additional damages.
How a Kansas City Slip and Fall Attorney Can Maximize Your Compensation
Slip and fall accidents can occur unexpectedly and lead to serious injuries that impact your life significantly. Fortunately, if you have been injured due to a slip and fall in Kansas City, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses. A seasoned Kansas City slip and fall attorney is instrumental in maximizing your compensation. Here's how we can assist:
- Thorough Case Evaluation: An attorney will conduct an in-depth review of your case, considering all aspects to determine its worth. This includes evaluating the extent of your injuries, the circumstances leading to the accident, and the impact on your life.
- Effective Negotiation: Insurance companies often attempt to minimize their payouts. Your attorney will negotiate assertively on your behalf, leveraging their expertise and experience to ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Legal Guidance: An attorney can provide valuable legal advice, helping you understand your rights and guiding you through the complex legal process.
- Trial Representation: If your case proceeds to court, your attorney will provide robust representation, advocating fiercely for your rights and interests.
Our experienced slip and fall attorney can help you do everything possible to maximize the value of your slip and fall claim, including gathering all evidence that supports your claim. After doing so, our attorney will be able to apply the above settlement value factors to your case and provide you with potential range that you may be able to recover.
Once you have an idea of the potential value of your claim, your attorney can recommend a starting point for negotiations and can help you present legal case law and reasoning, factual evidence and supporting documentation that support this value to the insurance company of the at-fault party. This is generally done in the form of a demand package and can be a starting point for negotiations. Alternatively, your attorney may recommend it is best to file suit.
The potential settlement value of your case is just one way to maximize your recovery. Your slip and fall attorney should also help you identify and negotiate any outstanding medical bill, liens or other claims to your settlement. It is critical to identify any liens or claims for payment early in your case, so there are no surprises when your settlement is finalized.
Our Kansas City Slip & Fall Injury Attorney Is Here to Help
Slip and fall accidents can result in serious injuries, and the handling of slip and fall claims is a serious legal matter. With mounting medical bills and other damages, you do not want to make a mistake at the moment when you need help the most.
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall in Kansas City or anywhere in Kansas or Missouri, we strongly recommend that you seek the advice of an experienced slip and fall injury attorney about your claim. Our Kansas City slip and fall attorney is ready to help with a free, no-obligation consultation. You can contact us online or call today at 816-203-0143.