Hiring a Brain Injury Lawyer After an Accident in Kansas City, MO
The short answer is "Yes." This answer is not simply because our law firm has helped brain injury victims throughout Missouri & Kansas. It's because brain injuries are serious legal and health matters.
Many brain injury victims sustain lifelong permanent impairments and complications from brain injuries. Brain injury cases are complex. Individuals require specialized medical evaluation and treatment for brain injuries. They also need a brain injury lawyer who is familiar with the complicated medical and legal aspects of this type of injury case.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries in MO & KS
A variety of accidents and personal injury cases can result in brain injuries. Some of the common causes of brain injuries that give rise to a personal injury claim include, but are not limited to:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Slips and Falls (or other kinds of Premises Liability claims)
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
The Law Office of Kevin J. McManus represents clients in Kansas City and throughout Missouri and Kansas who sustain brain injuries because of another party’s error, negligence, or wrongdoing. We help individuals recover compensation for their injuries, losses, and damages.
Diagnosing a Brain Injury After an Accident
Diagnosing a brain injury after an accident can be difficult. Many brain injuries are closed head injuries. With a closed head injury, there may not be any outward sign of trauma. However, the brain could be severely damaged because of a blow to the head or from the head being violently rotated or whipped back and forth. A penetrating brain injury results when an object penetrates the skull to enter the brain.
After a head injury, it is important to seek medical care. Physicians perform a variety of diagnostic tests and examinations to determine the severity of the brain injury. In many cases, a neurologist or other brain specialist may be needed to diagnose the injury correctly and develop a treatment plan.
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) range from mild to severe. Common TBIs caused by accidents include:
- Concussions are the mildest form of traumatic brain injury. Even though they are described as “mild,” concussions can result in lifelong complications and impairments.
- Contusions are bruises on the brain. Contusions can cause bleeding within the brain and swelling that can be life-threatening if not treated quickly.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries occur when the brain shifts within the skull. The brain strikes the skull in multiple locations causing damage to the brain tissue in several locations. The shearing effect from the brain “bouncing” around within the skull can result in the death of brain cells, lesions, pressure, and reduce blood circulation.
- Anoxic Injuries occur when the brain is deprived of oxygen, resulting in the death of brain cells. Prolonged oxygen deprivation can result in death or permanent brain damage.
- Second Impact Syndrome refers to a person sustaining a subsequent brain injury before a prior brain injury has healed. This condition can be life-threatening and cause permanent disabilities.
Contact a Kansas City Brain Injury Attorney for More Information
Brain injuries can result in expensive medical treatments, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and personal care. Persons who suffer lifelong complications from brain injuries may also incur a substantial loss of income. Additionally, a person may also need counseling to learn how to cope with the life changes caused by a brain injury.
The Law Office of Kevin J. McManus represents clients throughout Kansas and Missouri. Call 816-203-0143 for a free consultation with our brain injury lawyer in Kansas City, Missouri.