Why Your Insurance Claim Was Denied
If you’ve been injured or are suffering with a debilitating medical condition, the last thing you want is a fight with the insurance company. You are already dealing with enough stress, and denial of your insurance claim only adds insult to injury. Don’t worry, our Kansas City insurance dispute lawyer is here to help.
Insurance claims are usually denied for one of two reasons:
- Your claim may be denied because it is not covered in the insurance policy. Our insurance attorney is experienced in reviewing and interpreting complex insurance policies. We can confirm if this is the case. Very often it is not.
- Your claim may be denied for no reason at all. This may be surprising to you, but it is the truth. Some denials have no factual or legal basis - they are just wrong. Of course, the insurance company will send a denial letter than includes some official-sounding reason. It may be due to incompetence, or the real reason may be that the insurance company hopes you will drop your claim. Either way, the denial will improve their bottom-line.
Insurance companies keep denying claims that should be paid because, many times, there are no consequences for a wrongful denial. In some cases, a state law that covers "bad faith" or "vexatious refusal" by an insurance company may apply and provide some recourse.
Regardless, fighting against insurance denials are hard, and insurance companies know most people won’t do that. They have been in business for years and have the resources, attorneys and even medical professionals needed to support their actions. They know most people won’t go to the trouble to appeal their decision, hire a lawyer or take legal action. And they are right.
Most people don’t fight back. But our law firm helps those that do.
How Our Insurance Dispute Lawyer Can Help
Here’s how we can help you now:
- Call us today at 816-203-0143, for a free, no obligation consultation about your claim.
- We will evaluate your claim and policy for free and advise whether you should hire an attorney or whether you can handle your claim on your own.
- If your claim has been denied, send us your denial letter. We will review it for free and provide a strategy on how to fight back.
Whatever you do, you should act quickly because there are strict deadlines to appeal claims and enforce your rights. The failure to do so in a timely manner can be fatal to your claim.
What Our Insurance Dispute Lawyer Can Do for You
A lawyer experienced insurance claims and disputes can be helpful at the earliest stage of the claims process. Our attorney can review your policy and the documents you have to support your claim before you submit them to the insurance company. This can be especially helpful with claims that are potentially high in value because those are more likely to be denied.
If your claim has already been denied, almost every kind of insurance policy will detail a process to appeal the denial. While it may sound like something you can handle on your own, it is highly recommended that you seek legal guidance before you submit your appeal. The reason is, depending on the policy language, you may have only one right to appeal. In certain types of policies, you cannot submit additional evidence to the court after your administrative appeal is exhausted. If you don’t include all the evidence that is required, your appeal may be doomed from the start.
Again, the insurance company knows all these rules. They are hoping that you do not and that you make the same mistakes others have made so your claim denial will be upheld. For this reason, it is critical that you understand your legal rights and duties so your appeal has the best chance. An attorney who understands the legal rules and is experienced in the appeal process can be crucial to your success.
The Insurance Disputes We Handle
We routinely handle insurance disputes in the areas of accidents and injuries. The policies at issue may be:
- Car or motorcycle insurance,
- Home insurance,
- Liability insurance,
- Umbrella insurance,
- Accident insurance, and
- Commercial general liability (CGL) insurance.
In addition, we provide legal representation on claims involving:
- business interruption insurance, including claims arising from the COVID19 / Coronavirus pandemic,
- title insurance disputes, and
- property insurance disputes.
If you have a dispute with an insurance company involving any of these types of policies, please call us at 816-203-0143 for a free, no obligation consultation.
Life and Long-term Disability Insurance Policies
In addition to the policies mentioned above, our Kansas City lawyer has experience in the specialized area of law governing life insurance and long-term disability policies.
These types of policies can be very different than any other type of insurance. Many attorneys who handle insurance disputes do not handle these types of claims and appeals because of the particular laws and regulations that govern them.
Before you hire a lawyer to handle your insurance dispute, it is critical that you understand the type of claim that you have and that your lawyer is experienced with that particular type of claim. To learn more about these types of claims, please click the links below, or feel free to call us at 816-203-0143.