Recovering Damages for Scars & Disfigurement in Kansas City
Car accidents and other personal injury accidents can result in a myriad of injuries. In some cases, these injuries can result in significant scars or disfigurement. The impact of scarring and disfigurement on a person’s life can be debilitating. Scars and other disfiguring injuries leave victims a permanent reminder of the trauma they have experienced.
No amount of money can reverse an injury resulting in scars or disfigurement. However, our Kansas City personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation to help you continue to treat and move forward with your life. Our personal injury lawyer is experienced in handling cases with scars and disfigurement throughout Missouri and Kansas. Call us now for a free, no obligation consultation: 816-203-0143.
Accident Injuries Resulting in Scars & Disfigurement in Missouri & Kansas
Any type of personal injury accident can result in a scar or disfigurement. The scarring or disfigurement can be caused immediately from the traumatic event, or it may result later from the treatment required for the injury.
For example, lacerations and puncture wounds may cause scarring when they heal. A broken bone can result in scarring because of the surgery required to repair the break or fracture. Fires and explosions caused by a car wreck can cause severe disfigurement and scarring from burns.
Some scars and disfigurement can be hidden by clothing. A plastic surgeon may be able to repair some of the scarring or disfigurement. However, victims who sustain disfiguring and scarring catastrophic injuries may face a lifetime of pain and suffering. Scarring and disfigurement can cause:
- Poor self-esteem
- Decrease in social interaction
- Difficulty obtaining jobs
- Loss of confidence
- Decrease in career advancement and opportunities
Scarring and disfigurement are constant reminders of the horrors of an accident. A person experiencing PTSD because of the accident may have flashbacks each time they view their scars.
With the help of a Kansas City personal injury attorney for disfigurement, accident victims can seek compensation for damages caused by scarring and disfigurement.
Damages for Disfigurement or Scarring in Missouri & Kansas
The damages included in a personal injury claim for scarring and disfigurement vary. A Kansas City personal injury attorney who is experienced in scar cases will document the damages you sustained because of the injury. Careful documentation of damages can increase the value of an injury claim.
Damages that are generally included in an accident claim for disfigurement or scarring are:
Damages include the medical costs and expenses of treatment, including the cost of treating the underlying injury and the cost of treating the scarring or disfigurement. Medical costs include reconstructive surgery, plastic surgeons, medications, physical therapy, rehabilitation facilities, hospital costs, and physicians’ bills.
Medical costs could also include expenses related to personal care for the underlying injury. Some disfigurements are the result of permanent impairments, such as amputations and loss of limbs. In these cases, the person may require extensive occupational therapy and personal care.
Emotional Distress and Mental Anguish
Victims are also entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering caused by the disfigurement and scarring. Pain and suffering include physical discomfort, mental anguish, and emotional distress. The cost of treatment with psychiatrists, psychologists, and counselors can also be included in the injury claim.
Loss of Income and Benefits
Scarring and disfigurement can lead to loss of income and benefits. A person may be unable to work because of the underlying injury or disfigurement. They may also have trouble finding work because of the scarring or disfigurement. Their earning potential may significantly decrease, resulting in future loss of income and benefits.
Our Kansas City personal injury lawyer for scars and disfigurement works with medical experts to document your injuries and damages. We also work with economists and financial experts to correctly estimate future financial losses, including ongoing medical treatment, counseling, and loss of income.
What's the Value of Scarring & Disfigurement in Missouri & Kansas?
Placing a value of scarring and disfigurement can be challenging. No two scars are alike, and no two people are impacted by a scar or disfiguring injury in the same way.
With that said, some factors can impact the value of your personal injury claim for disfigurement or scarring. Some factors to consider include:
- The Age of the Victim – A scar or disfigurement for a child or young person may be worth more than the same scar on an adult or older individual. The effects of scarring and disfigurement on a child’s social and emotional wellbeing can be debilitating. A child may experience lifelong emotional, mental, and social consequences because of a scar or disfigurement. The result could be a substantial and permanent decrease in quality of life and enjoyment of life.
- The Permanency of the Scar or Disfigurement – Scars that can be repaired and removed easily with reconstructive surgery or plastic surgery typically decrease the value of the personal injury claim.
- The Location of the Scar or Disfigurement – Facial scars are generally worth much more than scars hidden beneath clothing. Scarring and disfigurement can severely limit a person’s career choices. The more noticeable the scar or disfigurement, the higher the value of damages.
- Severity of the Injury – A tiny scar this is about one to two inches long may not be worth as much as a very long scar. Likewise, scars and disfigurement that are not as easily noticed are not worth as much as scars or disfigurement that causes people to stop and stare.
- Gender and Marital Status – It is unfair, but gender and marital status can impact the value of an injury case involving scars or disfigurement. Women may receive more compensation than men because of the value society places on a woman’s appearance. The same is true for marital status. If a victim is not married, the claim value may be higher because the jury believes the scarring or disfigurement could make finding a partner more difficult.
- Bias of the Insurance Adjuster – Some insurance adjusters allow their individual bias to impact the settlement offer. An adjuster who believes people place too much value on appearance may undervalue a claim. Personal bias regarding appearance is a strong emotion to overcome, even when we consciously try to avoid the bias.
No amount of money can make scars or disfigurement go away. However, our Kansas City personal injury attorney has significant experiencing handling these types of injury claims.
We are aware of the factors that can impact the value of your claim in Missouri and Kansas. Our personal injury lawyer maximizes the factors that increase the value of your claim. We work diligently to minimize the factors that could negatively impact the value of an injury claim for scarring or disfigurement.
Contact Our Kansas City Personal Injury Lawyers
Scars and disfigurement can have significant impacts beyond the physical injury. Our Kansas City personal injury lawyer handles cases involving scars and disfigurement and will aggressively pursue all avenues for full and fair compensation on your behalf. We fight to hold the party who caused your injury responsible .
At the Law Office of Kevin J. McManus, we believe that each client deserves our respect, dedication, and personal attention. We represent accident victims in Missouri and Kansas. Let us help you get the money you deserve after an injury or accident.
Reach out to our office to schedule your free consultation with a Kansas City personal injury lawyer by calling 816-203-0143 or completing our online contact form.