Payment of Lost Wages After an Accident in Kansas City

Unfortunately, in a car accident or other personal injury case, the insurance company for the at-fault party will usually not pay your lost wages as you incur them. Generally speaking, lost wages are not paid by the liable party's insurer until a full and final settlement is reached and you sign a release that terminates your right to recover any other damages in connection with the accident.  

A settlement can take several months to reach.  If the matter is contested or liability denied, you may have to file a lawsuit, which can further delay a recovery.  Meanwhile, you may continue to incur lost wages while your case is pending if you are unable to work due to your injuries.  This can be very stressful as your medical bills and other financial obligations continue to grow.  

Alternative Income Sources to Consider

As a result, before a recovery is made from the liable party, you need to rely on one or more of the following as an income source if you are unable to work after an accident:

How to recover lost wages and income after injured in accident
  1. Short-term or long-term disability insurance you may have through work or purchased on your own; 
  2. If you have Personal Injury Protection (also known as "P.I.P.") coverage in your own auto policy, it may offer a limited amount of lost income reimbursement while the case is pending against the liable party;
  3. Accident and disability policies you have through work or purchased on your own; or 
  4. Your own personal funds or borrowing money from family or friends until you can pay them back from the money from your case.

Contact Our Car Accident Lawyer in Kansas City, MO

Still have questions about lost income in injury cases?  For more information about this and personal injury claims in Missouri and Kansas, please download a free copy of my book, Crash Course, which includes the 9 mistakes that can wreck your injury claim.


You can also contact our firm by calling (816) 203-0143 or by filling out a form below.  Contacting us is FREE and confidential, and there is no obligation to hire our firm.  We would be happy to try to assist you.


Kevin J. McManus
Connect with me
Kevin McManus is an accident injury and disability lawyer in Kansas City, MO, and Overland Park, KS