What do you do if the person who caused the accident has little or no insurance?
- Check your own insurance policy and look at the declaration page to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage or underinsured motorist coverage.
- Uninsured motorist coverage provides protection when the at-fault driver has no insurance, such as in hit-and-run cases.
- Underinsured motorist coverage applies when the at-fault driver's insurance is insufficient to cover the damages.
- It's crucial to seek legal counsel to understand how to utilize the available coverage effectively and maximize recovery.
- Uninsured motorist coverage is required by law in Missouri and Kansas, while underinsured motorist coverage is required only in Kansas. However, minimum coverage limits may be insufficient, so it's essential to have adequate coverage.