Paying Medical Bills After a Bike Accident in Missouri or Kansas
The medical bills after a bicycle accident can be substantial whether your accident happened on a busy street area in Kansas City or anywhere in Missouri or Kansas. Common bicycle accident injuries include brain injuries, broken bones, internal bleeding, back injuries, and severe lacerations. Some injuries caused by bicycle crashes can require expensive medical treatment, which the person cannot afford to pay.
If you are not at fault for the bicycle accident, the person who caused the crash is liable for paying your medical bills under Missouri and Kansas law. However, you may not receive compensation for medical costs for more than a year or longer after the accident due to the time it can take to either settle or litigate your claim in court.
In this article, our Kansas City bicycle accident attorney discusses:
- Sources of Payment for Bicycle Accident Medical Bills
- How Can An Attorney Help If I Cannot Pay the Medical Bills After a Bicycle Accident?
Sources of Payment for Medical Bills After a Bicycle Accident in Missouri or Kansas
Depending on your injuries, you may incur a variety of medical expenses related to your bicycle accident including:
Emergency room charges
Physical therapy and occupational therapy
Vocational or rehabilitative therapy
The source of payment for your medical bills depends on the facts of your case. Common sources of payment for medical bills include:
- Health Insurance Coverage — Your private health insurance provider, Medicaid, or Medicare may pay your medical bills from the bicycle accident. However, the insurance provider has a subrogation claim against the proceeds of an injury claim. The provider can demand reimbursement for medical bills it paid related to the bicycle accident if you receive compensation from a liable party.
- PIP Insurance — Personal Protection Insurance (PIP) coverage is no-fault insurance coverage that pays medical bills regardless of who was at fault for the crash. Kansas requires drivers to carry PIP coverage. If someone in your household has a PIP policy, you may also be covered. Because PIP is a no-fault insurance policy, you can receive payment for medical bills quickly by filing a PIP claim. However, the insurance provider is only required to pay claims up to the policy limits, which may be very low.
- Liability Insurance for the Driver — If a motorist caused the bicycle accident, you might be entitled to compensation from the driver’s liability insurance provider for your medical bills and other damages. However, the insurance company does not pay your medical providers directly. You cannot receive any funds for medical costs from the insurance company until the claim is settled, which could take a year or longer.
- Liability Insurance from Another Party —If hazardous road conditions or a defective part caused your bicycle crash, you might be entitled to compensation from a property owner or bicycle manufacturer. As with a motorist claim, you will not receive any compensation for medical bills until the claim is settled.
A Kansas City bicycle accident attorney investigates sources of compensation when he investigates the bicycle accident. Therefore, your attorney may advise you that there are other potential sources of compensation for your injury claim in addition to the above sources.
How Can a Kansas City Bicycle Accident Attorney Help If I Cannot Pay My Medical Bills?
A bicycle accident attorney cannot force an insurance company to pay medical bills or settle an accident claim before you are finished with treatment. Since you do not want to settle an injury claim before you complete your medical treatment, it could be some time before you receive any money for your claim. However, you must receive medical treatment to protect your health and your legal rights.
When you cannot afford to pay your medical bills and you do not have insurance to cover the bills, your attorney may be able to help. Some medical providers may be willing to treat you "on a lien", which means they are willing to wait to get pain until you settle your claim. They will then be paid from the proceeds of settlement before you receive any money.
If you do not receive enough money to pay the medical bills in full, you are legally responsible for payment of the bills. However, your personal injury lawyer may be able to negotiate a lower payment with some or all of your medical providers so that you can pay off the medical bills and receive some money for your bicycle accident claim. A good bicycle accident lawyer will also make sure the settlement offer in your bicycle accident case is fair.
Contact Our Kansas City Bicycle Accident Law Firm
Call our law firm today at 816-203-0143, for a free consultation with a Kansas City personal injury lawyer. Our Kansas City personal injury law firm represents clients throughout Missouri and Kansas. Bicycle accidents can give rise to serious legal and medical issues, and you will need to hire an experienced bike accident attorney to make sure you obtain the maximum possible recovery.
During your free appointment with an attorney, you can ask questions about filing a bicycle accident claim, the compensation you may receive for an injury claim, and ways in which you can manage medical bills while you receive treatment and work to settle your bicycle accident case.