Filing a Car Accident Reports in Kansas City

Crash or accident reports are important documents to file and obtain if you were injured in a wreck in Kansas City, Missouri.  Below are details on how to get a crash report and when you are required to file an accident report after a car accident in Kansas City. 

If you hire a Kansas City car accident lawyer to handle your personal injury claim, your lawyer should obtain a copy of the accident report for your case. However, you might want a copy of the accident report for your records or file an insurance claim directly with the insurance company. 

If you still have questions or would like to discuss your case with our accident attorney in Kansas City, please give us a call at 816-203-0143 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.

How Do I Get a Car Accident Report in Kansas City, Missouri?

If the Kansas City Police Department in Missouri investigated your car accident, you can obtain an accident report in person, through the mail, or online. The fee for a report obtained in person or by mail is $3 per report, but online accident reports cost $9 per report.

If the Missouri State Highway Patrol investigated the crash, you can view and print an unofficial report online free of charge. The online reports are available for one year from the date of the crash. Official reports must be requested in writing using the Request for Traffic Crash Report form available on the MSHP website. 

Whenever you are involved in a traffic accident, it can help to write down the officer's name and contact number in case you have trouble obtaining a copy of the accident report. Having the officer's name and number can help you track down the agency that has the report. 

Ho to File a Report After a Traffic Accident Kansas City, Missouri?

The quickest way to report a car crash is to call 911. The 911 operator dispatches a police officer to the accident scene. If anyone is injured, emergency medical services are also dispatched to the accident scene.

When the police officer arrives, he evaluates the accident scene and renders emergency aid, if necessary. The police officer gathers information from all parties involved in the accident and completes an accident report. An accident investigation team might be dispatched for catastrophic car accidents that result in severe injuries or wrongful death.

If the police do not respond to the crash because there were no injuries or very little property damage, you should still report the traffic accident to the police. Reporting the automobile accident creates an official record that can be helpful when you file an insurance claim. 

You can report a motor vehicle accident by filing a report in person at the Kansas City Police Department. The report should be filed with the precinct that has jurisdiction over the crash scene. 

If you are unsure which precinct has jurisdiction, call the police department's non-emergency telephone line for help. The police department can direct you about where to find the current form for filing a report of an accident. 

Are You Required to File an Accident Report Under Missouri Law?

The moments after a car accident can be chaotic. It can be difficult to remember what happened when you are injured. Even if you were not injured, the shock of the collision and the Adrenaline in your system could make thinking clearly challenging. 

file accident report kansas city police mo.jpgIt is essential to understand when you are required to file an accident report. If you fail to file an accident report in accordance with the law, you could face penalties. 

Almost all car accidents meet one of the criteria for reporting the accident. You must report a car accident if the accident:

  • Results in property damage of $500 or more
  • Causes an injury or fatality
  • Involves an uninsured driver

The requirements to report a car accident include accidents involving moving vehicles and parked vehicles. 

If an accident happened less than one year ago in Missouri and involved an uninsured driver, you must report the accident to the Driver License Bureau if the accident resulted in an injury, death, or $500 or more in property damage. Even if the accident did not result in property damage or injuries, you could still report the accident to the Driver License Bureau if it involved an uninsured motorist. 

Why File a Report of an Injury Accident with the Police Department?

Whenever you sustain injuries in a car accident, you need to think about protecting your legal rights. If another driver caused the car accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your financial losses, injuries, and other damages. To recover compensation, you must prove that the other driver caused the crash and your injuries.  This is why it is important to take prompt action to gather evidence and document the crash.

Having a police officer investigate the accident scene and render an opinion regarding fault can help you file an injury claim. The accident report can be used when negotiating a car accident settlement with an insurance company. If there is no report of the collision filed with the police department, it is your word against the word of the other driver that the accident actually occurred. This can become a problem, especially if the other driver is lying about how the accident occurred.

If the police do not come to the accident scene, make sure to report the accident to the police department as soon as possible. Failing to file an accident report and report the crash to your insurance provider could make it more difficult to obtain compensation under your uninsured motorist coverage or underinsured motorist coverage, if applicable.

Always report a car accident to your insurance provider as soon as possible. Failing to report a car crash to your insurance company could result in a breach of contract. The insurance company might use the breach to deny our insurance claim. 

Contact a Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer for Help

Insurance companies can be difficult. They are always looking for ways to undervalue or deny valid insurance claims. Do not give the insurance company any reason to deny your claim. Report the accident to the police and your insurance company promptly. 

After that, contact a Kansas City car accident lawyer as soon as possible to discuss the accident and your options for seeking compensation for your injuries and damages. 

Call The Law Office of Kevin J. McManus at 816-203-0143 to request a free consultation with a Kansas City automobile accident attorney near you.