If you were injured in a car accident in Overland Park, Kansas, the first thing you'll want to do is call 911.  The police will secure the accident scene, interview witnesses, obtain key information from all parties, and document the incident in a crash report.  Seeking medical attention for your injuries is the next thing to do, along with obtaining a copy of the accident report.  

The police accident report is essential for insurance purposes of proving the at-fault party, resolving disputes, and asserting legal claims.  Our car accident attorney in Overland Park, Kansas obtains this report for all our clients.  We review these reports with you to ensure the details are accurate, and also use the information to conduct our own investigation of the accident.

If you have any questions regarding car accidents in Overland Park or elsewhere in Kansas, call our car accident attorney at 816-203-0143. We offer free consultations and guide you with a strategy to move forward.  Call us today, we're here to help.

Why Obtain a Police Accident Report in Overland Park?

accident report form with penUnder Kansas law, you are required to file a car accident report if the accident resulted in property damage of $500 or more, caused an injury or fatality, or involved an uninsured driver.  This legal requirement in Kansas law applies to both moving and parked vehicles.

A crash report completed by responding police is an important document for those who were injured in a car accident. The crash report is a written document with important information such as the date, time, location, and cause of the accident, as well as a description of the vehicles involved, the drivers, and any passengers. You may need to view the Overland Park crash coding sheet to understand the coding on the crash report form.

The crash report is evidence that the accident actually happened and helps avoid the situation where an at-fault driver lies to escape liability.  The crash report can help you prove who is at fault for the crash, which is required under Kansas law to recover compensation for your losses, injuries, and damages.  The crash report is a very important piece of evidence used by insurance companies, attorneys, courts, and law enforcement agencies to determine who is responsible for an accident and to assess damages.

How to Obtain a Accident Report in Overland Park, Kansas

Crash reports are considered public records in Overland Park, which means they are available to anyone who requests them.  However, personal information, such as the drivers' and passengers' names, addresses, and telephone numbers, are typically redacted from the report.

Our car accident attorney handles all the necessary details of a client's case, including communicating with the insurance company, obtaining the accident report, and any and all followup and investigation.  Alternatively, you can obtain the report yourself by contacting the responding police agency.  If the crash occurred in Overland Park, Kansas, this agency would likely be either the Overland Park Police Department or the Kansas State Highway Patrol.

Overland Park Police Department

If the Overland Park Police Department investigated the car accident, you can obtain the accident report in person, via mail, or online.  One of the most convenient ways to obtain a car accident report in Overland Park is by making an online request.  The Police Department provides an online request form that you can complete and submit to receive a copy of your report for free.  You will need to provide the date and location of the accident, as well as your first and last name and the case number, to do a search.

You should note, however, that reports for accidents that occurred before 2017 or involving fatalities can’t be found online.  If you need to make an in-person request, you can visit the Overland Park Police Department at 12400 Foster, Overland Park, KS 66213.  The office is open from Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm.

You can also request a copy of your car accident report by mail.  To do this, you will need to send a written request to the Overland Park Police Department at the address above.  Your request should include the case number or the date and location of the accident, as well as your name and contact information. You may also need to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for the report to be mailed back to you.

Kansas State Highway Patrol

If the Kansas State Highway Patrol investigated your car accident, you can view and print unofficial copies of the report online for free. These reports are available for one year after the date of the crash.

You can request official reports by writing to the KSHP through the Request for Traffic Crash Report form available on the KSHP website.  You should keep the officer's name and contact information handy in case you need to track down the agency that has the report.

How Long to Get an Accident Report in Overland Park?

Accident report requests in Overland Park are typically processed within 7 business days.  When requesting a car accident report, it is important to provide accurate and complete information.  Providing incorrect or incomplete information can result in a delay in receiving your report.

Our Overland Park Car Accident Attorney Can Help

Crash reports are important records for insurance investigations, court proceedings, and determining liability in a personal injury claim.  Insurance companies are often looking for ways to deny your claim, and failing to report a crash may result in a denial of liability.


After making a report of a car accident, call our office at 816-203-0143 for a free consultation with our car accident attorney in Overland Park, Kansas.  Our attorney will obtain the crash report on your behalf and handle all the details, so you can heal and get your life back on track.  We'll also conduct our own investigations and help you claim the compensation you deserve from the insurance company of the at-fault party.  Yu can also instantly download our free e-book Crash Course: 9 Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Injury Claim.  We're here to help, and on your side!


Kevin J. McManus
Connect with me
Kevin McManus is an accident injury and disability lawyer in Kansas City, MO, and Overland Park, KS