Video Summary

  • In Missouri and Kansas, a child cannot settle a personal injury claim on their own behalf due to their status as a minor and lack of legal capacity.
  • There are two options for handling a child's personal injury claim in both states: wait until the child turns 18 to pursue the claim independently, which could be subject to statutes of limitations, or have a parent or guardian settle the claim with court approval.
  • Court approval is necessary for a parent or guardian to settle the claim on behalf of the child, requiring the involvement of an attorney to file the case and have a judge review and approve the settlement.
  • The process of settling a claim for a child can be complex, and the assistance of an experienced attorney is recommended.
Kevin J. McManus
Connect with me
Kevin McManus is an accident injury and disability lawyer in Kansas City, MO, and Overland Park, KS