Most Pedestrian Accident Victims Need a Lawyer
While you are not required to hire a Kansas City pedestrian attorney if you were hit by a car, motorcycle, truck or other motor vehicle, most cases benefit from having a lawyer involved. Pedestrians do not always have the right of way. You could be accused of being the person who caused the pedestrian accident. If the driver is successful in arguing that you are at fault, you could receive nothing for your personal injury claim.
Even if the driver can convince a jury that you were partially at fault for the accident, your compensation could be greatly reduced. Comparative fault laws in Missouri and Kansas allow courts to reduce the amount of compensation paid to an accident victim by the percentage of contributory fault assigned to the pedestrian. In Kansas, you could receive nothing for your pedestrian accident claim if you are judged to be 50 percent or more responsible for causing the pedestrian accident.
Reasons Why You Should Consult with a Pedestrian Accident Attorney
There are instances in which you may want to consult a pedestrian accident attorney in Kansas City. If any of the situations apply in your case, we strongly urge you to contact our office to talk with a personal injury attorney before talking to the insurance adjuster or accepting a settlement for your injury claim:
- You suffered severe or traumatic injuries.
- The accident resulted in a disability, permanent impairment, scarring, or disfigurement.
- Your medical bills, loss of income, and other financial losses are significant.
- The other party is accusing you of causing the crash or contributing to the cause of the accident.
- The insurance company denies your claim or claims that the insurance policy does not apply to your claim.
- An insurance adjuster asks for a written or recorded statement or asks you to sign an authorization to obtain your medical records.
- The insurance company for the driver offers a settlement before you complete medical treatment.
- The pedestrian accident involves a government vehicle or employee or commercial vehicle.
An attorney can be of great help when a vehicle has hit you. Our legal team takes over the accident investigation. We interview witnesses, document the accident scene, search for videos of the accident, obtain the police report, discuss your injuries with your doctor, file an insurance claim, and deal with the insurance company. We also calculate the value of your injury claims so that you know if the insurance company is attempting to undervalue your injury claim.
Call Our Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Kansas City, MO for a Free Case Review
If you are unsure whether you need an attorney for your pedestrian accident claim, take advantage of a free case review with an attorney from The Law Office of Kevin J. McManus. Learn about your legal rights and your options for recovering compensation for your injuries and losses.
Call 816-203-0143 for a free consultation with a Kansas City pedestrian accident lawyer. We represent clients throughout Missouri and Kansas who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents.